Training Location Address:
77 Sunset View Rd
South Hero, VT 05486
Lifeguard Training Courses Offered at Camp Ta-Kum-Ta
The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course is designed to prepare candidates to prevent, recognize and respond to emergencies in their specific aquatic environment. This course is open to all candidates looking to obtain their Lifeguarding Certification for:
- Swimming Pools
- Youth Camps (Includes waterfronts and swimming pools 20ft. deep or less)
- Lifeguard Recertification
Prerequisites for In-Person Training:
- Be at least 15 years old by the last day of the course
- Pass and complete the Online Blended-Learning Training, which will be sent out approximately 2 weeks before the training.
- Pass a Pre-Skills Assessment Below for Deep Pools (max depth 20 ft.), Waterfronts (bays, lakes, ponds, and beaches), and Youth Camps:
- Swim 550 yards, continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing using front crawl and/or breaststroke (goggles allowed)
- Swim 5 yards, submerge and retrieve three dive rings placed 5 yards apart in 4 to 7 feet of water, resurface and continue to swim another 5 yards to complete the skill sequence.
- Tread water for two minutes, using only legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute and 40 seconds:
- Start in the water, swim 20 yards (no goggles)
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards back to starting position with both hands on the object and keeping the face at or near the surface
- Exit water without using a ladder or steps
2022 Training at Camp Ta Kum Ta
Lifeguard Training consists of online and in-person training. To participate in your in-person lifeguarding training session, it is required that you complete your online training prior to our in-person training dates listed below. You will receive an email from your instructor with more information about your course as we get closer to training.
In-Person Training Dates:
Sunday, July 10, 2022
For camp staff, please click the button below.