2023 Aquatic Training at
Camp Becket YMCA Camps
This year, The Aquatic Connection will host American Red Cross Lifeguarding and Water Safety Instructor Courses at Becket-Chimney Corners YMA Camp in Becket, Massachusettes!
Training Location Address:
748 Hamilton Road
Becket, MA 01223
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Training Courses
Blended-Learning Water Safety Instructor Training Courses Offered:
The American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course prepares instructor candidates to plan, prepare, and teach Red Cross Learn-To-Swim and Water Safety programs. The course focuses on the following:
- Teaching water safety concepts and swimming progressions
- Lesson planning and management strategies
- Best-practice teaching methods for all swimmers
- Techniques for building relationships with families
Prerequisites for Water Safety Instructor Training:
All instructor candidates must meet the following prerequisite to participate in training:
- Be at least 16 years old by the last day of the course.
- Pass the specific Pre-Skills Assessment outlined below:
- Swim 25 yards (1 pool lap) of front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke, sidestroke, elementary backstroke
- Swim 15 yards of butterfly
- Float on back for one minute
- Tread water for one minute
- Pass and complete the Online Blended-Learning Training, which will be sent out approximately two weeks before the training.
WHAT PARTICIPANTS ARE SAYING…
“I took the Water Safety Instructor Course with The Aquatic Connection, formally Teach America To Swim. The course was the perfect balance between pool and classroom learning. I loved that the instructor guided us through the swimming progressions for each stroke. Sabrina’s feedback was specific and immediately help me improve my bad swimming habits. She was also a great resource to help me plan the structure of my learn-to-swim program at camp this summer.”Sarah F.
Nashua, New Hampshire
“This class left me feeling so confident about being a lifeguard. I was provided with so many examples of what could happen at a pool facility, how to deal with them, and a ton of practice time with each scenario. I would recommend this course to anyone trying to be a lifeguard.”Amanda A.
Lifeguard in Merrimack, New Hampshire
2023 Training Registration
WSI Training at Camp Becket consists of online and in-person training. To obtain your WSI certification, it is required that you attend all three scheduled training dates. You will receive an email from your instructor with more information about your course as we get closer to training.
In-Person Training Information:
Monday, May 29th, 2023
Tuesday, May 30th, 2023
Wednesday, May 31st, 2023
TRAINING TIME: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
*Keep in mind In-person training dates will be mostly water training days help at camp.
To register for training, click the word “ENROLL” below next to your desired class.
Becket-Chimney Corners Staff should register under the STAFF ONLY Class.